If you are looking for instructions on how to record audio on Windows 10, you have come to the right place. We are happy to let you know that it is possible to do this. In this article, we will be discussing some of the methods you can use.
Whether you are looking for ways to record your voice quickly, produce a professional-level voice recording, or record audio playing from your computer, there are apps out there that can help you with that. However, we will be showing you the two top ways to record audio on Windows 10. One of them involves the use of an in-built recorder that comes preinstalled on your Windows 10 device. It is known as Windows Voice Recorder. The second method involves the use of a professional recording app called Audacity. You can download this app from its official website. After installing the Audacity app, you can go through the steps below and choose the section that meets your needs (depending on what it is that you are looking for).
How to Record Sound on a Windows Computer
If you would like to record audio on your Windows 10, Audacity is the best way to do this. For example, you might want to record a call or the audio of a video that is playing on your device. The app will help you to get a clean recording and eliminate extra sounds that may affect the quality of your audio.
It is important to note that this method will record all sounds that are playing on your Windows 10 device. Therefore, if it is a single audio track that you are interested in recording, you need to turn off or mute all other sounds that are playing on your PC.
Here is what you should do:
1. After downloading and installing the Audacity app, you should open it and get yourself acquainted with the controls. The buttons are color-coded to help you identify their functions. The red button will turn on the record function, the black button is for stopping the recording, and the green button will playback anything that you have recorded.
2. The main playback controls give you access to options that will allow you to adjust the settings for your audio. To access them, go to the first dropdown menu on the left and choose Windows WASAPI. Now, go to the second dropdown box on the left and choose the loopdown variant of your system audio device.
3. If you do not know the loopdown variant, not to worry. Simply go to the fourth dropdown box. You will find the default option already displayed there. Go back to the second dropdown menu and choose the corresponding option that has “(loopback)” in it. The loopback variant that you choose should match the default option displayed in the fourth box.
4. For the next step, you should click on the red button to begin recording. Then turn on the sound or audio that you intend to record. When it has finished playing, click on the black stop button to end the recording. You can then clean up the recorded clip by cutting off unnecessary sounds at the beginning and end of the recording.
5. To delete empty sounds or unneeded sections of the clip, simply click and drag over the area you want. This will highlight that section. Then go to your keyboard and press on delete. To get a more precise highlight of the section of the audio that you want to delete, you can zoom in or zoom out on it.
6. Once you are done with recording and editing, go to File. From there, select Export, and then click on Export as MP3. Finally, select the location where you want to save your audio recording and save the file.
How to Record Your Voice Quickly on Windows 10
If you want to quickly record your voice on your Windows 10 device, you can use the inbuilt voice recorder. Windows Voice Recorder is convenient if you are not concerned about the effects of background noise and static on the overall quality of your audio recording. If you want to know how to record sound using the voice recorder app on Windows 10, follow the steps below:
1. To use this, you need to go to your keyboard and press the Windows key. Go to Search and type in Voice Recorder. This will show you a list of results. Select Voice Recorder.
2. When the next window opens, go to the microphone button and click on it to start recording. Windows Voice Recorder will record your voice so long as you have a microphone connected. Therefore, ensure you have a microphone properly connected (if your device does not have an in-built microphone).
3. If you want to pause the recording halfway without stopping it completely, use the pause button. It is also possible to add milestone flags while recording. These milestones can be viewed when replaying the audio recording in the Windows Voice Recorder app.
4. After recording, you can go to the location of the stored file to copy it to any device of your choice. If you do not know where it is stored on your device, you can locate it by going to the user interface, and then you should right-click on the audio recording. Then choose Open File Location.
How to Record Your Voice Professionally on Windows 10
If you are looking to record your voice in a high-quality format, then Audacity is the best option. The tool gives you options to eliminate background noise, remove static, and set up your audio to professional standards. Before you begin, ensure you are using a good microphone and that there are no avoidable background noises.
You can now follow the steps below:
1. Once you have everything in place, go to Audacity and open it. Then go to the dropdown box on the extreme left. Click on it and choose MME from the menu.
2. Check to confirm that the dropdown box on the left has automatically selected your microphone or any voice-recording device that you have connected to your computer. If it has not, manually choose your microphone name from the dropdown menu. At this point, you can click on the red record button to begin your recording. You should stay silent for 10 seconds before you begin to speak. By staying silent for 10 seconds, Audacity can pick up 10 seconds of background noise. This will help it to differentiate your voice from unnecessary background sounds when you finish recording.
3. When you are done recording, go to the black stop button and click on it. To begin cleaning up your audio recording, the first thing you need to do is to identify and select any section where you made mistakes during recording. To achieve this, you need to play through your entire audio and listen to it.
4. After listening through, you can delete or remove any section that you do not like. To do this, you should click on the specific part that you want to delete, then drag your mouse cursor over it. When it selects the section that you want to remove, go to your keyboard and press on the delete button.
Note: Do not delete the first 10 seconds of the clip. This section contains the 10-second recording of background sounds.
5. When you are done deleting areas where you made mistakes (coughing, mispronunciations, silence, or the wrong use of words), it is now time to clean up background noises. You can do this by making use of the Noise Reduction feature. Follow these steps:
- Go to the first 10 seconds of your clip. Click and drag your mouse cursor over this section to highlight it.
- Go to Effect and select it.
- From the options displayed, select Noise Reduction.
- Then choose Get Noise Profile.
- For the next step, go to your keyboard and press the shortcut Ctrl+A. This will automatically highlight your entire voice recording.
- Go back to Effect, click on it, and select Noise Reduction again.
- Then click on OK.
6. Wait for a moment to allow Audacity to carry out the noise reduction process. When it is done, you can playback the audio recording. You will notice that the audio sounds cleaner and has less background noise and static. You can now delete the first 10 seconds of the clip by clicking and dragging your mouse cursor over this section. When it has been highlighted, go to your keyboard and press delete.
7. It is now time to save your recording. Go to File and open it. Then click on Export and choose Export as MP3. From the next display, choose the location where you want your file to be saved. You can then go to the storage location if you want. From here, you can transfer the audio file to any other device of your choice.
How to Transfer Your Audio Recording Online
After recording and editing your audio, you might want to share the file online with a colleague or friend. You need an app that will transfer your file quickly and securely, will protect it from hackers, and won’t take up much storage space on your system.
FileWhopper is a file-sharing service that you can use to transfer large files and folders without stress. There is no limit to the size of a file or folder that you can transfer. In fact, you can transfer as much as 100 TB with this nifty tool. One great perk about using FileWhopper is that your first transfer (of up to 5GB) is free! You also don’t need to subscribe to a monthly service before using the app. FileWhopper is a pay-as-you-go platform, meaning you pay only for what you send and when you send it. FileWhopper encrypts your data both in transit and at rest (while it’s in the cloud), keeping it safe from hackers.
Follow these steps to use the tool:
1. Go to the FileWhopper website and click Choose file or Choose folder to upload your audio.
2. This will take you to a new page with information on the size of your folder or file. Log in and then select CONFIRM and CONTINUE.
3. The next window will download a small-sized app, which will automatically delete itself once your transfer is complete. The app ensures your data remains intact.
4. Copy the download link and the password your data has been encrypted with and share them with your recipient so that they can download it.
FileWhopper will keep your file or folder in the cloud for free for up to 14 days (to allow the other party time to download the audio recording). You can also pay to extend the period beyond 14 days.
It is possible to record professional and high-quality audio right from the comfort of your home, and you have been provided with all the necessary information that you need to achieve this. By downloading, installing, and using the Audacity tool, you will be able to access professional audio setups. However, if you are just looking for something simple with which to record audio, the Windows Voice Recorder will do a good job. It comes preinstalled on your Windows 10 device, so you do not need to bother with downloading and installing the app.