Sending large files can be a pain at times as it takes time and is, in most cases, limited to paid services. To avoid it, you can compress your files before transferring them. This saves you time and money and also helps avoid clogging your recipient’s email by letting you send an archive containing multiple files. For example, let’s say you want to send all of the pictures you took while travelling to your family and friends. If you zip them into one compressed file, you can send them all at once as a ZIP file with the recipients required to unzip it to be able to download and save the contents. Zipping files also reduces the upload time, especially in areas with poor network reception. Even if you don’t want to send files but wish to store them on a cloud or external drive, compressing them saves you space, thereby allowing you to store more than you could have if you had not compressed your data.
Gone are the days when the only way to compress files was via third-party software. Although you can still use third-party programs to do so today, Windows 10 comes with a built-in file compression tool. That said, if you need more advanced and specialized file compression formats, such as WinZip, RAR, and 7-Zip, to mention a few, you need to turn to third-party software. Some third-party tools specializing in compressing files offer an extra security layer. You can set a password on your zipped files so that the only way to unzip them is to know the password.
Once you receive a zipped file, it is quite easy to unzip it, but compressing files into a ZIP archive isn’t as straightforward. However, this guide will provide detailed steps on how to zip a file in Windows 10. In addition, this guide will coach you on how to zip a folder in Windows 10 so you can send or store it as a single file. After understanding the steps to zip a file, you’ll then learn how to unpack it to gain access to its contents.
How to Zip a Single File in Windows 10
In this tutorial, we will show you how to compress a single file into a ZIP archive. This method is suitable for use if you have a large file that you wish to store or send. Here is how you zip a single file in Windows 10:
- Access File Explorer by clicking the folder icon located in the taskbar.
- Under File Explorer, search for and find the file you wish to zip.
- Right-click on the file you wish to compress and choose Send on the drop-down menu.
- On the following menu, choose Compressed (zipped) folder.
- Insert the name of your new compressed file, then press enter to complete the process.
How to Compress Multiple Files
This is a convenient method when looking to cram multiple files into one archive. The method is also ideal for organizational purposes and keeping files of the same nature together. Here are the steps to follow to correctly compress multiple files:
- Access File Explorer using the folder icon on the taskbar.
- Search for and find the files you wish to zip into a single file.
- If you want to zip all files inside a folder, open the folder and highlight the first file before pressing Ctrl + A to select all other files. However, if you want to compress specific files, you need to hold down the Ctrl button and go over the files, selecting the ones you want to zip together.
- Right-click on the selected files and select Send on the menu.
- In the following menu, select Compressed (zipped) folder.
- Insert the ideal name for your ZIP file and press Enter to complete the process.
How to Zip an Entire Folder
This method is suitable if you wish to compress multiple files into a single folder. When unzipped, they will be unloaded into the folder created upon compression. Here is how you achieve this process:
- Access File Explorer: just click the folder icon located on the taskbar.
- Search for and find the folder containing the files you wish to compress into a single compressed file.
- Right-click on the folder and select Send to.
- On the following menu, choose Compressed (zipped) folder.
- Insert the name of the ZIP file, then press enter to conclude the process.
Now that you know how to compress single and multiple files into a single file, let's demonstrate how to decompress a ZIP archive.
How to Unpack a ZIP File
You can only find compressing files useful if you are able to unzip them, otherwise you don’t want to lock the door from the inside and throw the key out of the window. Windows 10’s inbuilt compression tool utilizes an algorithm that scans through your files, eliminating any repetitive data, and then cramps them into a compressed file with the .zip extension. To reverse the compression done by Windows, the system scans the compressed file, searches for the removed repetitive information, inserts it back into the file, and returns your data back to its previous state. Here is how you can decompress a zipped file:
- Access File Explorer and locate the zipped file you wish to decompress.
- Right-click on the file and choose Extract all.
- On the following pop-up window, choose the location where you want Windows 10 to store the decompressed files.
- Once you have decided on the location, click on Select Folder.
- Click the Extract button to launch the extraction process.
FileWhopper: A Safe and Simple Method of Sending Large Files
In case you can’t compress the large files that you wish to send to the right size, FileWhopper offers you an excellent platform for sending large files fast and conveniently. The platform presents a secure means of sending large files without having to worry about maximum file size limits. With FileWhopper, you literally have no file size limits when transferring your files and folders! In addition, you don’t have to worry about buying a monthly plan as you get a quote based on the size of the file or folder you wish to send. The large files or folders being sent are encrypted using state-of-the-art technology. The program offers users a free storage period of 14 days (which can be extended to 90 days upon request) for the uploaded files, giving the recipient(s) enough time to download the files. You can transfer your huge file or folder to one person by default; that said, you can easily order extra downloads if need be. To add an extra layer of security, your data is also password-protected. FileWhopper is a straightforward program with no hidden costs. You pay for what you wish to send and receive incredible service.
Here is how it works:
- Choose the large file or folder you wish to send.
- Get a quote based on the size of the file or folder you want to transfer.
- Download and install the tiny FileWhopper app and use it to upload your large file or folder fast and securely.
- Copy the link to the uploaded file or folder and share it with the intended recipient(s).
- To ensure secure delivery, your data is encrypted with a unique password. Make sure to share the password with the recipient(s) so that they could access your file or folder.