Trying to transfer files from pc to pc can be a challenge, as there are a lot of things that need to be considered. If you need some help with that, you are in the right place: we have prepared some really useful tips for secure file transfer.
Let’s start with the main questions one may have when they try to transfer files from pc to pc:
- How do you send big files from one computer to another?
- What tools do you use?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions off-hand, let’s search for the right answers together!
Transfer Your Files
Let’s take a closer look at how to send large files from one computer to another the right way:
1. A Portable Storage Device
A portable storage device is very intuitive and quite affordable. And it serves well for any size data relocation.
First of all, check the USB ports on both computers for full functionality. Afterwards, choose the portable storage device of the right size for your personal needs: file storing or a big file transfer.
Nowadays, portable storage devices are available at a relatively low cost and come in many different sizes and colors. And what’s great, they are really convenient to carry around, but there are some problems:
– you could lose the flash drive if it is very small,
– this method could be quite time-consuming because it requires lots of manual work.
2. A Cloud Solution
If you need to send large files online, you can use different cloud drives, such as:
- Google Drive;
Whenever there is a need to send large files from one computer to another, cloud drives could help a lot. The main advantage is that usually there is a certain amount of storage space available for free. And cloud drives are also very intuitive: you can often simply drag your files to the cloud platform or even set up automatic data transfers.
But be prepared that to transfer big files using a cloud drive can be time consuming if your internet connection is slow.
3. HomeGroup feature
Secure file transfer to another PC could be done by using the HomeGroup feature.
Here are the easy steps for creating a HomeGroup:
Start -> Control Panel -> HomeGroup -> Create a HomeGroup -> Choose the file you want to share -> Enter a password -> Finish
After a HomeGroup is created, you need to join it:
Start -> Control Panel-> HomeGroup -> Join the HomeGroup you have created
To share a file or a folder, follow these steps:
Right-click and select ‘Share with’ – > HomeGroup
4. Windows backup solution
As another file transfer solution, you can use a built-in Windows backup feature – File History. Attention! You need an external hard drive for this purpose.
Follow these instructions for secure file transfer:
- Sign in to your Microsoft account on your old computer and connect an external hard drive;
- Start -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup;
- Back up using File History -> Select your external hard drive;
- Turn on the “Automatically back up my files” option for backing up your files to the hard drive whenever you connect it. You can select other options that work for you when you configure File History settings.
Instructions to restore files on your new PC:
- Sign in to the same Microsoft account and connect the external hard drive to your computer
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 above
- More options -> Restore files from a current backup and select the files and folders you would like to restore
To save time and effort when you transfer files from pc to pc, use powerful software, it will be well worth it. FileWhopper is a case in point: this tool allows you to send big files online and save your valuable disk space. And most importantly, FileWhopper’s cloud system guarantees secure file transfer. It is very easy to use FileWhopper: just upload any type of file with no size limit. This means you can upload even 1TB of data at the highest speed! The main benefit of using FileWhopper is the highest possible file sending speed due to the use of multi threaded data transfer technology. And at the same time, the integrity of the transmitted data is fully ensured.
Do you have any other ideas for how to send large files?
We look forward to your comments!