The need for seamless transfer of large files between systems on the same or even different networks was one of the main reasons why systems were connected to networks. With all the efforts and work that has gone into creating networks, there is still a need for more, better and advanced methods of sharing large files. For this reason, searching for what is the cheapest way to share large files remains one of the top hits on search engines.
Sharing large files via networks is highly preferred and better serving for an organisation due to a number of reasons. Some of them include:
- It’s faster and more affordable in comparison to the physical transportation of storage media from one site to the next.
- When transferring large files, headquarters can send in bulk overnight to the regional sub-offices using one portal. There is no need to find different means for different geographical locations.
- And if you are to use Managed File Transfer tools, the better because these come with quite a broad display of interesting features that give more than just the option of sending files.
So Many Means of Sending Large Files
There have been a lot of developments and the selection of file transfer technologies is now an unending one. In as much as there are a lot of free or trusted apps for sharing large files, the Managed File Transfer (MFT) stands out as highlighted by most media. Still, you have to know what to look for in an MFT before you can fully trust and use their services. Find the right MFT product that suits your file transfer needs by reading and getting to understand what to look for in MFT products.
Managed File Transfer products are easily trusted as they are the most advanced type of file transfer technology currently on the market. Each MFT implementation comes with a full range of centralised and wholly managed enterprise tools for file transfers. The management, auditing and monitoring of file transfer activity can all be done from one administrative console. Be that may be, the MFT product in itself provides a fully capable, automated system that enables successful file transfer between places, people or systems. You can choose if you want to have an administrator manually monitor the file transfer or the MFT’s automatic system handling the file transfer process.
When using the MFT automated system, users only need to either schedule file transfer in advance, configure the MFT product to automatically transfer large files when certain parameters are met or just initiate file transfers on demand. The main advantage is that you get to save time as there is no need to manually start each and every single file transfer. For a large organisation, this is more efficient, effective as well as time and cost saving. Elimination of human error and human dependency increases the accuracy and efficiency of the system. As a result, the workflow process is smoother and transfers can also be completed outside of office hours.
MFT products have a smart feature that also notifies the recipient when the file transfer is complete on their end so they can access and get started with the work process.
Functionality – How MFT Products Work
Each MFT product has one or more repository servers at its back and call. MFT repositories are the mechanisms behind the management and performance of all file transfers. The repository is the middle man in each file transfer. When a file is transferred from system A to system B, it is actually sent from system A to repository and from the repository, it goes to system B. The use of repository servers includes the following:
- An added layer of protection. Since the repository server acts as a middleman, there is no need for the sending and receiving systems to be directly connected. In the likelihood of one of the systems being hacked into or compromised in any form, the file transfer session will not be affected.
- The repository comes with robust access control and file encryption capabilities. Such features help with file security strength way better than individual source systems offer; the transfer is protected this way. If you would like to learn more about secure sharing of files, read more on file transfers.
- The MFT repository server picks details of which files are being transferred and their destination. These details make it possible for the server(s) to monitor, log and audit as required by PCI DSS, HIPAA and other security compliance parties. Also, applicable data loss technologies, IP address reputation services and other means of protecting data are implemented to cover the file transfer.
- Since repository servers monitor the full file transfer, if operational issues arise during file transfer, the repository will automatically recognise and act accordingly. The actions include notifying the admin to automatically retrying or restarting the file transfer process.
- The presence of a repository enables the asynchronous sharing of files. Instead of both systems being required to be online, only the sender needs to be active to send the files. Once they move from their system, the files are stored in the repository server until the recipient comes online. This feature also helps when sending large files over low bandwidth.
- MFT products also come in handy by giving the user the privilege to specify what should happen to the transferred files. This saves time for both the sender and the recipient. For example, in a huge organisation, the workload is significantly reduced and a pattern can be achieved when large files are sent via an MFT product.
What to Look for in an MFT Product
Already, you have noted some of the best and most important features of an MFT product and these depend on the type of repository server in use. There are a couple more features that can help you when deciding on the type of MFT to use. These include:
- A worthwhile MFT needs to work on as many platforms as possible. Check for availability of web interfaces, mobile device applications and regular operating systems.
- Select an MFT product that provides an easy-to-use and well-documented API. It must be understandable on your part.
- The best MFT product allows users outside the organisation to also transfer large files through both the API and a user-friendly interface. It should make file transfer an easy process.
- Get your organisation an MFT product that offers several mechanisms for file transportation.
- Also important, when selecting an MFT product, check that there is robust authentication for users and systems in the organisation. The product must provide features that reduce administrators’ work and make the file transfer easier.
From these details, do you think you are now equipped to understand the best web apps to transfer large files locally or online? Now when faced with the query of what are the best web apps for large file transfer, you know what to look for in an MFT and how to choose the best one for your organisation. You can also look into their repository servers in detail before selecting the product to go with that will best serve your organisation’s file transfer needs.